Monday, May 11, 2009

Same old

New educational methods aim to guilt trip kids into saving energy: TellEmoting Polar Bear

I think we've seen this before, anyone else remember Frank the Fish? To this day I don't leave the faucet running. I can't remember if Frank gets that credit or my parents or DuckTales.

To be fair, a polar bear affected by global warming is a lot more high concept than a fish who's lake is directly draining through my faucet. Maybe kids today are smarter than we were.

(As a slight aside: I do think these marketing campaigns work on kids to a certain extent but more as general reminders than direct messages. I don't think I ever believed my faucet was rapidly lowering sea level. I did understand that keeping the faucet running was wasteful and maybe bad for the environment, so it was something that I didn't want to do.)

No comments: